Straight from the Netherlands!
DATE: Sunday, July 22nd, 2018
EVENT: WORLD MUSIC on the BEACH
STAGE: PAVILLION Stage
ADDRESS: 1 Lakeport Road, Port Dalhousie, St. Catharines, ON
TIME: 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
TICKET PRICE: FREE * Bring your own lawn chair
DATE: Saturday, July 28th, 2018
EVENT: JAZZ in the PARK
STAGE: Niagara Casino’s Fiesta Stage
ADDRESS: Simcoe Park, Picton St and King St., Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON
TIME: 1:15 pm – 2:15 pm
TICKET PRICE: FREE * Bring your own lawn chair
ABOUT THE BAND:
Why don’t we start a fusion project?” These words were spoken as long ago as September 2014 by a group of friends in Rotterdam. They live together as friends, which they’d become at the Conservatory in Rotterdam. They share a passion for the beauty and complexity of jazz/fusion music, and they took a shot at it by starting their own band: Marutyri was born. They’ve set out a few deadlines for themselves to produce their first EP called The First One. This EP was shot entirely on live video and contained three self-written compositions. After the release, the band started giving their first performances around the local scene. Soon the band started building up an audience, and the comments were enthusiastic.
Marutyri kept on performing and writing new material, in the Spring of 2015, they recorded their second EP The Tribe. Again three brand new pieces and a bonus track brought out on CD and as live videos. During that summer, the band played at the famous North Sea Jazz Festival where they received overwhelming energy from the crowd. The Tribe was fully sold out and the band received a lot of great reviews. Marutyri – at first it was a name that didn’t trip off the tongue, but soon people started remembering it.
In the winter of 2015, Marutyri went to the Rocktown Studio in Rotterdam to record their first full length album Inner Movements. A nine piece concept album with funky grooves, smaller and bigger sounding compositions and story-telling solos. In April 2016, they released the album by courtesy of Challenge Records, having an album release party at Bird Rotterdam and playing to a packed venue. An album release tour though the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany followed. In December 2016, the band went on their first intercontinental tour through Asia, visiting China and Malaysia. In Malaysia, they played at the internationally renowned Penang Jazz Festival. After their return home they went back into the rehearsal room to work on a bunch of freshly written compositions. Inner Movements received an Edison nomination for Best Jazz Album National.
In May 2017, Marutyri returned to the Rocktown Studio to record Creation of the Invisible, their second full length album, which was also released by Challenge Records. The album was presented in october 2017 in the famous venue Lantaren Venster in Rotterdam and was followed by a large album release tour which brought them in Belgium, Germany and The Netherlands.
In 2017 MARUTYRI had two major international tours. They headed to Canada in july for various concerts in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and Londen. In october they flew over to China, having their two week tour. Starting with a concert at JZ Festival (Shanghai) and after that followed by various clubs and venues in Yantai, Wuhan, Xindao, Shenzhen, Haikou,… During this tours also various workshops were given at Shanghai Conservatory and Guangzhou Conservatory.
Rik van der Ouw – Bass guitar, synth bass
Ruud van Halder – Guitars
Thijmen Oberink – Keyboards
Maurice Slot – Drums
Roy Gielesen – Percussion
Dennis te Woerd – Tenor saxophone
Floris Windey – Trumpet, flügelhorn
Yiannis Marinos – Trombone
– The band is founded in september 2014.
– December 2014, release first EP: ”The First One”.
– June 2015, release second EP: ”The Tribe”.
– Spring and summer 2015, club- and festivaltour in the Netherlands and Belgium
– July 11th 2015, show on North Sea Jazz Festival ’15, Mississipi stage.
– NPO Radio 6 Soul & Jazz Award: Beste Soul & Jazz talent.
– Marutyri played already 5 times in the famous dutch tv-show ”De Wereld Draait Door”.
– April 7th 2016, release full-lenght album: Inner Movements (on Challenge Records International).
– Spring and summer 2016, club- and festival tour in the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium.
– November/December 2016, China + Malaysia tour
– May 2017, recording album Creation of the Invisible
– July 2017, tour Canada
– October 2017, tour China
– November 4th, release full length album: Creation of the Invisble + release concert Lantaren Venster – November/December: release concert tour Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands
– Spring/summer, festivals in The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany.
– May 2018, Vinyl-release: Creation of the Invisible
– July 2018, tour Canada